Skip to content

Convent of Mercy 2026,
St Aloysius College Archives

Our Beginnings

The Great Famine in Ireland led to mass emigration, with people leaving for countries around the world. A significant number settled in Argentina, but the vastly different climate and living conditions made life challenging for the new arrivals.

In 1856, news reached Ireland that many of these emigrants were struggling. In response, seven Sisters of Mercy sailed to Buenos Aires, Argentina, to establish a foundation. There, they set up schools, a hospital and an orphanage to support the Irish community.

In 1880, a violent uprising in Buenos Aires threatened the safety of the Sisters resulting in their return to Dublin. Here they met Bishop Christopher Reynolds from Adelaide and accepted his invitation to establish a foundation there.

Share the page

3 May, 1880

Arrival in Adelaide

Mother Evangeline Fitzpatrick
Mother Evangelista Fitzpatrick c.1880

The Sisters, led by Mother Evangelista Fitzpatrick, arrived at Port Adelaide with the mission to establish a Mercy foundation in Adelaide. A house in Gouger Street was rented, but due to the cramped conditions it was decided that twelve Sisters would stay in Adelaide and twelve would move to Mt Gambier to set up a Mercy foundation there. 

5 June, 1880

Convent of Mercy

Convent of Mercy Angas Street 1909 copy2
Dutton-Green House 1880

The home of Mr G. Dutton-Green in Angas Street, Adelaide was purchased as their convent.

July 1880

Convent of Mercy School

The Convent of Mercy School, a select or fee-paying school, was housed in a room in the new convent and educated girls from primary through to senior classes.

6 August 1880

St Angela’s and St Anthony’s Schools

The Sisters established two non-fee-paying schools on the ground floor of St Francis Xavier’s Cathedral Hall – St Anthony’s for boys and St Angela’s for girls, providing a primary education for the poorer children of the parish.

12 August 1880

House of Mercy opened

House of Mercy c.1910
St Philomena’s House of Mercy c.1910

The stables and coach house at the rear of the property were converted into the House of Mercy, which provided training in domestic service to young women in need of employment and accommodation. The House of Mercy proved so successful that a new building, St Philomena’s House of Mercy, was erected and opened in 1884 on a portion of cathedral land adjoining the convent.

20 March, 1882

St Angela’s Select Intermediate School for Girls

St Francis Xavier Cathedral and Hall copy
Cathedral and hall c.1905, State Library of South Australia

In 1882, the Convent of Mercy School transferred from a room in the convent to the upper rooms of St Francis Xavier’s Hall and renamed St Angela’s Select Intermediate School for Girls. It catered to wealthier Catholic families from suburban Adelaide, as well as boarders from country South Australia, with a strong focus on both the arts and academic education.

1904

St Aloysius High and Boarding School

1904 McAuley House
McAuley House 1904

Two inheritances gave the Sisters the funds to erect a new building next to the House of Mercy. This three-story building at the northern end of the convent property was named McAuley House, in honour of Catherine McAuley, the founder of the Sisters of Mercy. St Angela’s Select School moved from the Cathedral Hall and was renamed St Aloysius High and Boarding School. The poorer children of the parish continued to be educated in the Cathedral Hall.

1920

Inheritance

inheritance
Barr Smith house 1903, State Library of South Australia

Mother Cecilia Cunningham inherited a large fortune from her parents in Argentina. The money was used to purchase three properties and two blocks of land on the eastern side of the Convent. The Barr Smith house in Angas Street was purchased in November and provided additional accommodation for the Sisters. The rest of the house was used by the Novitiate.

1920

Acraman House

Acraman House PRG 631 2 1803 copy
Acraman House 1903, State Library of South Australia

Acraman House, located on the eastern side of the convent was purchased. The Dutton-Green house had previously been extended to the rear in 1882 and to the east in 1889. Acraman House was subsequently joined to the convent, but because it was set further back, the architect extended it toward Angas Street to bring the buildings into alignment.

1920 – 1922

Expansion

Sports grounds Wakefield Street circa 1930
Sports ground c.1930

A number of cottages and small shops were purchased to extend the Angas Street property to Chancery Lane. More properties in Chancery Lane were bought as well as blocks of land on Wakefield Street to extend the College grounds. There was now space for a number of tennis courts.

1922

Cunningham Memorial Chapel

Building and Chapel opening 1922 State Library of South Australia PRG 280 1 35 19
Chapel opening 1922, State Library of South Australia

The Cunningham Memorial Chapel was built on the site of the kitchen and laundry of Acraman House and formed part of the eastern side of the present cloisters. The Chapel was named in memory of Mother Cecilia Cunningham’s parents. The St Aloysius High and Boarding School building was extended by demolishing the stables and hayloft of Acraman House and adding another three-story wing.

1925

St Cecilia’s Primary School and Hall

St Cecilias Hall external view 1926
St Cecilia’s School c.1926, State Library of South Australia

St Cecilia’s Primary School and Hall were erected on the corner of Angas Street and Chancery Lane. Staffed by the Sisters of Mercy, it replaced St Angela’s which had previously been housed in St Francis Xavier’s Cathedral Hall. Both girls and boys from the Cathedral parish were admitted, with boys enrolled only to Year 3. Fees from St Aloysius College subsidised the education of St Cecilia’s students, with the two schools operating side by side.

1954

Mercedes College

Strathspey Springfield c.1950 State Library of South Australia B 35990
Strathspey, Springfield c.1950, State Library of South Australia

The boarders transferred from St Aloysius College to the new Mercy day and boarding school, Mercedes College at Springfield. Strathspey House and its spacious grounds had been purchased by the Sisters in 1953 to overcome the problem of the increasingly overcrowded city school.

1957

St Cecilia’s School closed

St Cecilia’s School was closed and the girls from St Cecilia’s were absorbed into St Aloysius College.

By Carol Grantham,
St Aloysius College Archivist, 2026

You may also be interested in

catherine mcauley

Catherine McAuley

Cunningham Memorial Chapel outside

Buildings

Angas St Sisters from Argentina 1911

Founding Sisters

About Catherine (n.d.). Mercy International Association. https://www.mercyworld.org/catherine/

Astbury, H. (1980). Centenary: The Sisters of Mercy South Australia 1880-1980. Sisters of Mercy Adelaide.

Barr Smith House [Photograph]. (1903). State Library of South Australia PRG 631/2/281. https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/PRG+631/2/281

Building and Chapel opening [Photograph]. (1922). State Library of South Australia PRG 280/1/35/19. https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/PRG+280/1/35/19

Gall, E. (1903). Convent of Mercy, Angas Street [Photograph]. State Library of South Australia PRG 631/2/1803. https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/PRG+631/2/1803

St Cecilia’s Primary School and Hall [Photograph]. (1926). State Library of South Australia B 3408. https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/B+3408

St Francis Cathedral and School Hall [Photograph]. (1903). State Library of South Australia B 72310. https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/B+72310

Strathspey, Springfield [Photograph]. (1950). State Library of South Australia B 35990. https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/B+35990

Secret Link