Skip to content

Cunningham Memorial Chapel 2010,
St Aloysius College Archives

Convent of Mercy

In June 1880, the newly arrived Sisters of Mercy purchased a house in Angas Street that had been built for Eliza Forester in 1871 and later purchased by George Dutton-Green. This formed the western end of the present Convent of Mercy. The house consisted of ten large rooms, bathrooms, side and front entrances and a spacious hall with a staircase to the upper floors. It was of such architectural significance that it was described in the South Australia Register of 3 January 1871.

Share the page

5 June 1880

Dutton-Green House

Convent of Mercy Angas Street 1909 copy2
Dutton Green House 1880

Using all their financial resources, the Angas Street property belonging to Mr George Dutton-Green was purchased as the convent for the Mercy Congregation. The largest room of the house was converted into a chapel while another room was used as the fee-paying Convent of Mercy School, educating girls from primary to senior classes.

1882

Expansion

1882 extensions to Convent copy
Convent 1882 and 1889 extension c.1889

A two-story wing was added to the rear of the Dutton-Green house and named the St Agnes wing. On the ground floor was a refectory with a chapel upstairs. An arched cloister was built on the eastern side of the building with a single-story veranda on the western side of the wing.

1889

Angas Street Wing

Convent of Mercy 1889 extension c.1920 St Aloysius College Archives copy
Convent 1889 extension c.1920

A vacant block of land on the eastern side of the Dutton-Green house was purchased. A two-storey wing facing Angas Street was attached to the house. Upstairs were twelve new bedrooms and downstairs, a large community room and an office for the Mother Superior. The façade of this extension closely matched the original building.

1921

Acraman House Addition

Acraman House PRG 631 2 1803 copy
Acraman House 1903, State Library of South Australia

Acraman House, on the eastern side of the convent, was purchased. The kitchen and laundry were demolished to make way for the Cunningham Memorial Chapel and the eastern wing of the present cloisters.

1921

Completed Convent

Convent Angas St 2021
Convent of Mercy 2021

The front of Acraman House, which was set back from the Convent, was extended towards Angas Street. A new façade brought it into alignment with the rest of the Convent.

By Carol Grantham
St Aloysius College Archivist, 2026

Gall, E. (1903). Convent of Mercy, Angas Street [Photograph]. State Library of South Australia PRG 631/2/1803. https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/PRG+631/2/1803

McLay, A. (1996). Women on the move: Mercy’s Triple Spiral. Sisters of Mercy Adelaide.

You may also be interested in

Convent of Mercy Cloisters 2026
Angas St Sisters from Argentina 1911

Founding Sisters

Secret Link