Skip to content

House of Mercy

    In August 1880, the stables and coach-house behind the Dutton-Green house were converted into boarding accommodation for poor girls and orphans. The Sisters provided these young women with training in domestic service, preparing them for employment in the homes of Adelaide’s wealthier families. This initiative marked Adelaide’s first venture into vocational training for girls.

    This House of Mercy proved so successful that a new building, St Philomena’s House of Mercy, was erected and opened in 1883. The new building adjoined and ran parallel to St Francis Xavier Cathedral Hall. In 1904, McAuley House (later renamed the Dunlevie Building), was erected as a purpose-built school on the rear section of the Convent property. It adjoined St Philomena’s House of Mercy and shared its kitchen.

    House of Mercy c.1910
    St Philomena’s House of Mercy c.1910, St Aloysius College Archives

    The House of Mercy operated successfully for about forty years. By the early twentieth century, however, the number of girls entering the institution had declined, largely because the establishment of the Catholic Women’s League Hostel provided a similar service. St Philomena’s House of Mercy subsequently ceased operating in its original role and was converted into a boarding house for young women from rural areas who were attending Teachers’ Training College or Business College.

    In the late 1920s, the building was renovated and incorporated into the boarding school. It remained in use until its demolition in 1984.

    House of Mercy demolition1984
    House of Mercy demolition 1984, St Aloysius College Archives

    By Carol Grantham
    St Aloysius College Archivist, 2026

    Secret Link