Skip to content

St Patrick’s Day Parade

    During the 1920s, St Patrick’s Day parades were major social and cultural events in Adelaide. Each year, large crowds of enthusiastic spectators lined King William Street to watch the procession. The parade featured participants from Church societies and most Catholic schools, alongside colourful floats and tableaux depicting key themes in Ireland’s national and religious life.

    Beginning at St Francis Xavier Cathedral grounds, the procession made its way along King William Road, North Terrace to Jubilee Oval (now part of Adelaide University).

    The Convent of Mercy, Angas Street, was an active participant in these celebrations. In 1922, its contribution featured a dray carrying students dressed in costume for the occasion and drawn by two powerful draught horses owned by Mr John Kiley and driven by Bib Pillion.

    By 1926, the school had embraced more modern transport, using a flatbed truck for its St Patrick’s Day float.

    St. Patricks Day 1922
    St. Patrick’s Day, 1922, St Aloysius College Archives
    St. Patricks Day 1926 copy
    St. Patrick’s Day, 1926, St Aloysius College Archives

    Neville Stapleton
    SAC Newsletter, May 2021, issue 5

    Secret Link